Wednesday, August 29, 2012

First Day of School 2012

Honeybunches seems to be transitioning just fine to school starting.  In previous years he struggled a lot with anxiety for a few nights before school, not sleeping well, asking a lot of questions about his worries, and being really sad.  This year none of that happened.  I think that's partly thanks to his Lithium level being so high but also thanks to him having the same teacher and aide.  He went to sleep fine last night.  His teacher did an awesome job of getting him a communication book all set up.  She wrote how he had an "Amazing day" except for one "Speed bump at P.E time when he didn't want to join the children, but he worked it through with no aggression and by using his words".  

This morning I went to his school to bring his meds to the nurse, sign paperwork for him to be given that med, bring the medication orders for water and Tenex his pdoc filled out, to sign a Release of Information for his new school counselor to talk to his outside one, and to give her the "About Elijah" packet I made up for her.  When I walked in the new principal greeted me right away saying "Hi" and my 1st name.  That amazed me and made me feel very welcome.  She remembered me although Honeybunches was only at her previous school from August-October 2008.  I wonder why she remembered me?  Is it because he visited her office many times?  Because I'm a good advocate for him or shall I say complain a lot? Whatever the reason I guess it's okay.  It just had me wondering today... She was really nice and walked me to the new counselor's office instead of me just putting the papers in her mailbox.  I got to meet her, although we remembered eachother from Princess, Angel and Shnooks whom she worked with some more than others at the 5-6 grade school she came from.  She said "So I hear (Honeybunches) does better with men"?  So somebody briefed her about him a bit already.  Hooray and thank you to whomever is advocating for him so well early in the year!!! I mentioned a few things to her about how he might do well the 1st visit or two but then will most likely test her to see what he can get away with and how she'll react.  I also asked her if she had Emotional BINGO because he loved to play that with Ms C his old counselor at school and L his outside counselor. She had something similar called Feelings BINGO that should be a hit.  She also showed me a prize box and said he could pick a prize at the end of each session.  He's very reward driven so that should be a good incentive for him.  We shall see how things go when he starts testing her, but I think she'll be a good fit.  Then I proceeded to the nurse's office.  I mentioned to her how over the whole Summer I only had to help him wipe his butt about 3x so if he has issues at school where he needs me like that it's either because he misses me, anxiety or something else related to school.  She said she's suspected that all along.  

He came home from school saying how he met his new counselor and thinks she's nice.  He said that only one friend from last year is still in his class.  We talked about how he could make new friends.  A little after 7 pm he was complaining of a headache.  I gave him a big cup of water to drink.  DH had him put his pajamas on and go lay down.  By 7:30 he was sound asleep, which is different. During the Summer he stayed up until 8:30ish.  I guess his brain got tired from thinking so much and all the stimulation at school.

No comments:

Post a Comment