Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Shaddered Dreams: One door closes to open another...

I received a letter in the mail last week that shattered my dreams of continuing my education to get my Associate's in Early Childhood, working in the daycare again as a Lead Teacher, and of one day becoming a director of a daycare center.  This letter was from the Headstart program where I was supposed to do my practicum beginning in a couple weeks.  They said they completed the CORI and DCF checks.  DCF is the Child Protective Services in my state.  Well the CORI check came back fine as I knew it would.  The DCF check held a surprise that was an "Automatic Disqualification".  It said "Neglect 2005. Closed." Thanks DCF.  Thanks Police Department.  One night back in 2005 DH was drinking and wanted to drive.  I got upset.  Things got loud.  The police ended up being called.  They came to the house and entered the kitchen.  DH was sitting at the table with his beer and prescription psych meds in front of him on the table.  They questioned him about taking psych meds while drinking.  Then I guess they filed a 51a (Suspected Abuse/Neglect) report because the next day DCF came knocking on the door.  They agreed with the police that drinking while taking psych meds is neglect.  They said I was neglectful for not stopping him and allowing him too.  It's not like he's a child.  He's a grown man.  The children had clothing and toys.  The house was clean.  They had everything they needed including a lot of love and a lot of people who'd witness to that.  Still taking prescription meds while drinking was neglectful?  Anyways I remember asking them if anything would show up on my record because my career was working with children.  They told me "No it will not" so I didn't worry.  DH went to detox and rehab.  He has remained sober since then not picking up once. (Awesome news for an alcoholic... going on 7 years sobriety!)  When this letter came it was a big surprise.  I was so upset, heartbroken and felt lost.  I spent the last year at college studying for my Associate's Degree in Early Childhood Education.  That was a year wasted.  If I would have known this last year I would have studied something else.  I emailed my practicum professor.  There was nothing she could do.  I dropped out of college. :(  I know that there is a reason for everything although we don't always know what it is.  I feel like I am being led back into being a CNA (Certified Nurse Assistant) again.  I called a few places about classes and am waiting to hear back from them.  I loved my previous jobs as a CNA.  My 1st one, when I was only 19 was at a pediatric nursing home for medically fragile children.  I would have stayed there forever, but once we moved out of state it was too far to keep traveling.  My 2nd more recent CNA job (Which I left in 2008 when Honeybunches was unstable and struggling) was at an elderly nursing home.  I loved everything about that except having to work holidays and every other weekend.  Now that the children are a few years older I think it would work out better. Plus they are so used to being broke now they'd be happy if we had more spending money I think.  I feel my calling in life is to help others.  That's what makes me happiest.  Sibyl Chavis says "It's not a problem if one door closes.  It's a problem if you don't realize you are being redirected to something so much better."  That fits my life good right now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment