Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Twas the night before school began...

My girls began school yesterday.  Honeybunches begins tomorrow.  I was happy when one of the pages I subscribe to on Facebook posted this a few days ago: 

A Teacher's Cheat Sheet about My Child | Parenting Special Needs Magazine

I made one up for the new counselor at Honeybunches' school.  I am amazed how well he is doing this year.  Usually every year for a few days before school begins he has very high anxiety, so much so that he can't sleep.  He seems to be doing fine this year.  He went to sleep without any issues tonight.  I hope he has a great 1st day and transitions well to his new counselor.  I signed a Release of Information so his outside counselor whom he's seen since he was four can talk to the new school counselor.  I hope the principal at his school doesn't judge him based on how he was at her school in Kindergarten.  This is her 1st year running his school.  She was previously the principal at the K-2 school, where he only went for two months of Kindergarten before moving down to his current school (Which housed his old behavioral classroom).  He has issues with changes and transitions.  Thankfully he'll still have Mrs Understanding for his teacher and Mr N for his aide.  I also wrote a note to Mrs Understanding about Summer Updates and my concerns for the school year.  My concerns include how he will do with the staff changes; how he will adjust to his new counselor, and where he will go when he needs space since they rearranged the school and moved Mr M's Behavioral Class to a whole new section as they expanded that program. That's where he used to go to use the "Time out space" when he needed to escape the world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment