Thursday, June 7, 2012

Field Day... Talked to pdoc

Today was field day at Honeybunches school.  He participated almost all day!!! That's the first time that happened.  In 1st grade he would not participate at all.  Last year he made it a couple hours, but this year he made it all day.  :)  I didn't get there until the 1 pm because I had other obligations in the morning (Princess had court for the school CHINS that they continued until next month b/c she had some small issues at school last week). 

Anyways, I got to Honeybunches school and Mr N said Honeybunches participated all day!  While I was there it was the finals.  He got 2nd place in the Great Potato Race (Where they put a potato on a spoon and have to carry it across the field without dropping it and whomever gets to the other side 1st wins).  I am so proud of him for participating as well as he did.  The 2nd place was a major accomplishment for him to because it took great hand-eye coordination, gross motor, fine motor, planning and other skills.  He was fine, sitting near me, Daddy and Mr N.  Then he wandered to look at grass and played on the playground structure (Which is another accomplishment for him because he used to climb the structures at the other parks when he was younger, but not since he was about 3 y.o and this structure was complicated with lots of bars, etc).  While on the 2nd bigger structure with slides and all, he picked up some nasty juice box another child littered.  He began drinking it, then began looking like he was going to pour it on Mr N when he approached him.  He picked up a couple handfulls of the soft rubber chip things that are padding for under the structures.  One of them found it's way on Mr N's head.  That happened just as things were finishing up.  At this point it had been pouring rain hard for about 10 minutes.  The last activity, Honeybunches refused to participate in.  Mr N walked up on the structure because Honeybunches grabbed another handful of rubber chips.  He held his arms for a couple minutes, then walked him back down to the school because it was time to go back. 

Once inside Honeybunches walked himself into this empty room with just a table in it.  It seemed to me that he needed space.  He stayed there for a couple minutes, then we went to the computer room so he could show me his computer.  He began shutting down all the computers, found some paper and ripped it up.  He was really hyper.  Mr N walked him to the "Time out space" in his old classroom.  Sometimes he needs to go there to regulate and calm his body.  I figured that would be a good time to go wipe my glasses.  I was gone for a few minutes.  When I got back, Honeybunches was still struggling to regulate.  He did try to throw a chair so Mr N took it out of the space.  Honeybunches persisted trying to bring it back in. Then Honeybunches picked a book to read in there.  He ripped it up into pieces and I didn't see exactly what happened because the time out space has 4 walls, but Mr N restrained him for just a couple minutes.  Then Honeybunches began to cry.  That means the episode was over.  Mr N thinks he was "Stimming" and it was because of the rain.  I think he just got overstimulated because he had a busy day.  Mrs F said it was a long day, but also thinks that not being on schedule could have triggered him.  Overall, IMO he still did an awesome job lasting as long as he did, participating in the field day, getting 2nd place, and doing as well as he did.

I noticed he was doing lip puckering while at the school.  I talked to the pdoc this morning.  I was half asleep when she called lol, in the middle of a nap so it took my brain a few minutes to wake up.  I sounded so groggy she thought I was Honeybunches.  ROFL.  She agreed that Summer would be the best time to change things, if we need to.  She suggested getting another Lithium level.  She's going to call in an order to the lab and we'll get that done Saturday.  She said the next med she'd consider for him in place of Abilify would be Geodon.  She said it's easy on the body and liver.  She also mentioned Tegratol and Risperdal.  Risperdal is a definite "No" because he gained 65 lbs in the 2 years he was on that.  Tegratol I am not interested in trying because he had a negative reaction to Trileptal.  I will research Geodon, it's use with children, it's effectiveness with Autism, it's side effects and all that fun stuff so I can make an informed decision next Wednesday when we see the pdoc.  I hate changing things, but his TD seems to have gotten worse as before when we lowered the dose down the symptoms subsided but this time they are not.  Until we see her again, I raised his Cogentin back to 1 mg. 

No comments:

Post a Comment