Tuesday, January 10, 2012

GI doc appointment + diet update

Yesterday Honeybunches went for an appointment with his GI doc and the nutritionist that works with that doc. We seen the nutritionist 1st.  She said that he can begin to have lean chicken or turkey white meat once a day, plus 1 egg and 2 egg whites once per week scrambled or in an omelet. She also told me to offer him more vegetarian "Protein".  For example after school for a snack. She told me that increasing his protein should make him less hungry.  He has literally been wanting to eat every hour he is awake.  So that news made him happy.   He'll be on a low cholesterol diet now, but not necessarily Vegetarian anymore.  I'll still buy his Vegetarian "Meat" alternatives, keep him on soy/almond milk, but can give him the other stuff the nutritionist mentioned.   He does not need to go back to see them until 6 months from now.  That's great news because the hospital where they are is 1 hour 15 minutes away and not accessible by public transportation.  Our van is not too healthy right now.  On the way to his appointment in the city traffic somebody beeped their horn.  He says "Ah Shut Up"!  I giggled.  Then he said "See I learned that from Dad"!  ROFL.  It was not funny but hillarious at the same time.  That gave me my laughs for today.  Well that and the circle doors at the hospital exit. You know the ones that move as you go through them.  Well this one had attitude problems lol.  Either DH or him touched it.  Well the thing stopped in the middle of us going through it.  Then it said "Please back up.  Do not touch the door" in a rude voice and said some other words I can't remember, but that is the 1st time I seen a door with attitude problems lol.  Only in Massachusetts!

I went grocery shopping this morning.  I found him some of these chicken tenders from Purdue's Simply Smart new line of chicken products for dinner tonight. Purdue Simply Smart Chicken Tenders.  Well technically they are not chicken tenders.  They call them "Lightly breaded chicken strips".  LOL Same thing IMO.  Honeybunches loved those. They seemed like the healthiest chicken I could find.  I was literally standing there comparing all the labels for about a half hour.  I only gave him 3 small ones, but he was happy with that.  He ate them all.  We shall see how his belly likes it. It's been about 45 minutes and he seems okay so far. For lunch a few days during the week I found him some light turkey breast.  I was standing there comparing those labels too and got the one with the least cholesterol. If I give him those for lunch, for dinner that night he'll have a "Veggie protein".  I like how the nutritionist came up with that instead of "Fake meat" like we were calling them lol.  I told E we will let him eat this stuff for a few weeks.  Then I am going to ask his pdoc for a lab slip to check his cholesterol and other levels.  I told Honeybunches if it goes up too high then he will have to go on "My diet" again.  (Doctor did not say that... I did.) I am staying on my strict Vegan diet. I just have no desire to eat meat, milk, eggs or any other animal product for ethical reasons plus I think it's healthier.  It can get interesting being the only Vegan in a meat eating household.  I get sickened when I have to fix hamburg for DH and the girls.  That just smells worse than anything to me.  So this week I bought extra Lite Life Smart Ground and some Boca Burger Crumbles to use in place of it.  The Smart Ground pass Dh and the girls' approval.  This is the 1st time I seen Boca Crumbles in our local grocery store so figured we'd give them a try.  I also bought him some Galaxy Veggie Shreds to put on some home made pizza I plan to make one day this week.  They are not Vegan, but are healthier than real cheese which I still chose not to give him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment