Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Back on the roller coaster!

Things around here have been like riding a roller coaster that we have not been on in a while.  Yesterday Honeybunches book stated:

"He did not have a good day.  He seemed off from the get go.  During reading, he wanted to read a book about cats.  After some coercion, he joined the reading group.  Then he gave (PT) a hard time.  He basically shut down and refused to work.  Then during writing he did not want to do word of the day.  He put his head down and refused to write.  1:1 aide took him for a walk.  When he came back he was fine."

Yesterday afternoon remained tough at home.  He was mad when he came home because I told him I did not think it was a good idea for him to go out with his Therapeutic Mentor when she came based on his behavior at school. (Plus he gave her a really hard time last time she took him out and with his day progressing like it was I did not think it was a good idea.)  He began crying hysterically about that.  He became very angry, refused to listen to me and Daddy's words.  He even got aggressive with Dh and I which has not happened in a long while.  Then when his Mentor came, he wanted nothing to do with her. He stayed in his bed crying for a while and then just laid there.  He seemed depressed for most of the day.  Later in the evening he complained of a headache.

Today Honeybunches had another rough morning at school.  He refused to work in Speech.  He put his head down and accidently ripped his paper as well.  "He seems out of sorts the past couple of days" is what his teacher wrote in his communication book today.  When I picked him up early for his pdoc appointment, his 1:1 aide handed me a letter Honeybunches wrote to me.  It said:

"Why I was crying is Mom I was crying at school because I was sad because I didn't want to go to (Pdoc's center).  Mom I didn't want to work today at school.  I was ripping (Speech Therapist's) paper.  I hat to pick up my pensil because I threw it.  I was kicking (1:1 aide).  That is what I did't at school."

That is what he wrote, in his writing.  hat = had.  Did't = did.  Pensil = Pencil.

The afternoon continued to be a rough one.  He was sad, crying, hyper, sad, crying, hyper, hyper and crying... The roller coaster ride has begun with him and I want off!!!  At least he was not aggressive today.  The afternoon was filled with mood swings, perfume being sprayed, not listening to my words, refusing his bath, me having to call "Daddy" and have him do it.  His pdoc left all his meds the same for now.  Thankfully she gave us a lab slip to get his blood drawn.  Besides the typical Liver Enzymes, "LFTs, Lipids, Glucose, and Lithium" she is also testing him for heavy metals: "Lead, Mercury and Cadmium".  She gave us a script for 150 mg Lithiums in case his levels come out low.  I really like his pdoc.  In the beginning I was unsure if I'd trust her with Honeybunches because he is so complex.  For now, we are happy with her.

His counselor asked me if I ever thought about homeopothy with him.  I have put some thought into it, but at this time we honesty can not afford it.  Living on a very low income with just Honeybunches and my DH's SSI it is not something we can really achieve right now.  It sure would be awesome if one day insurance would pay for alternative medicines and therapies.  Shoot, they can not really cost more than some of his meds do!    I will research what things work for headaches though.  Honeybunches gets them frequently and the docs at the teaching hospital last week told me not to give him Tylenol.  Because of his Lithium, he can not have Motrin or Advil.  I hope I can find something safe to give him.  Pdoc told me to try Bengay on the back of his neck.  That's worth a try, after I research if it interferes with Lithium...

I am hoping that this rollercoaster ride ends soon because I want it to stop!  I want off the ride and soon! 

No comments:

Post a Comment