Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Vegan cupcakes and frosting

Okay 1st my disclaimer: These are not my own original recipes.  Sometimes I have messed with the ones I've found elsewhere.  I have collected a binder full of them from many different sources and figured I'd share some that have been a hit. 

VEGAN CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES:
INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 Cup Soy, Almond or Coconut milk (I've found that Chocolate milk of either type makes these taste the best.  Coconut seems to cook up lighter.  Almond milk makes it more thick and chewy.)
  • 1 Tsp Cider Vinegar
  • 3/4 Cup Sugar (Sugar in the Raw works great, but so would regular sugar)
  • 1/3 Cup oil or magerine (I prefer melted magerine)
  • 1 Tsp Vanilla
  • 1/2 Tsp any other extract (I used more Vanilla)
  • 1 Cup flour
  • 1/3 Cup Cocoa Powder (This is one place I have found paying a little bit extra for the Hershey's brand really does make it taste so much better.)
  • 3/4 Tsp Baking Soda
  • 1/2 Tsp Baking Powder
  • 1/4 Tsp salt
DIRECTIONS:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  2. Wisk together non-dairy milk and vinegar in large bowl.  Set aside for a few minutes so it curdles.  Add sugar, oil, vanilla and other extract to soy mixture.  Beat until foamy.  (Mine did not necessarily get "Foamy" but I just beat until well mixed.)
  3. In another bowl sift flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt.  Add to wet ingredients. Beat until no lumps. 
  4. Pour into liners filling 3/4 full.  Bake 18-20 minutes.
VANILLA CUPCAKES:

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 1/2 Cup Soy or Almond Milk
  • 1 TBSP Lemon Juice
  • 2 1/4 Flour
  • 2 Tbsp baking powder
  • 1/2 Tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup canola oil or magerine (Again as mentioned above the different milks cook up differently)
  • 2 Tsp Vanilla Extract
DIRECTIONS:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  2. Line 16 cupcake tins
  3. In small bowl combine non-dairy milk and lemon juice.  Mixture will curdle. 
  4. In large bowl sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar.  Set aside.
  5. In another bowl wisk non-dairy milk mixture, oil/magerine, and vanilla.  Add wet to dry.
  6. Portion into lined tins.  Bake 15-20 minutes. 
VANILLA FROSTING:
I made this all pretty for Christmas by adding in some red and green food coloring in different batches.  For some reason this never comes out right as the recipe says.  It makes it more icing when the kids prefer frosting.  I add in more sugar until I find the consistency right. 

INGREDIENTS:
  • 2 Cups powdered sugar
  • 2 Tablespoons magerine
  • 2 Tablespoons Almond Milk
  • 1/2 Tsp Vanilla
DIRECTIONS:
  1. Combine all ingredients.  Add more sugar until you reach the desired consistency.  Beat on medium speed until smooth.

No comments:

Post a Comment