Thursday, December 6, 2012

"So What Do You Do All Day"?

Yesterday somebody asked me:
"Do you work"?
I said:
"I have a son with Autism and other special needs who gets SSI so I stay home".
Person said:
"So what do you do all day"?

I had to think quick, so I said "Housework".  Later on today at home I was thinking of all the smart responses I could have come up with. Seriously?  What do I do all day? Well besides the added responsibilities of nurse, counselor, referee, self defense trainer, butt wiper, clothing dresser, housekeeper, janitor, therapist, medication runner, appointment taxi driver, pharmacist, short order cook, dish washer, laundry cleaner/dryer/folder/sorter/put-a-way-er, educational advocate, lawyer, civil rights worker, secretary, security guard and whatever else should come with being the parent of a child with Autism, BP and other special needs, I found this:
A Mother's Job Description

I thought that was pretty awesome!  I love how she said ""I'm a Research Associate in the field of Child Development and Human Relations."
I was also impressed by her comment "I have a continuing program of research, (what mother doesn't) in the laboratory and in the field, (normally I would have said indoors and out). I'm working for my Masters, (first the Lord and then the whole family) and already have four credits (all daughters). Of course, the job is one of the most demanding in the humanities, (any mother care to disagree?) and I often work 14 hours a day, (24 is more like it). But the job is more challenging than most run-of-the-mill careers and the rewards are more of a satisfaction rather than just money."

LOL That's one of the best examples of what we do that I've found yet!  Doesn't it sound professional?

No comments:

Post a Comment