Thursday, December 6, 2012

Concerns with Princess

Yesterday morning I got a call from the school.  Interestingly, it was not from Honeybunches school.  It was from Princess' school. Princess had told a friend at school that she's been having suicidal thoughts.  The friend told a teacher, who discussed it with Princess.  She admitted it was true, so they sent her to the counselor at school.  Princess has a history of cutting herself.  They've never been deep cuts, mostly just superficial ones so light that they don't bleed.  The school counselor called me and suggested that we get her a crisis evaluation.  We have been discussing her psychological well being a lot in the past few months.  At least that counselor takes parent-school communication seriously.

So I went down to the school to talk with Princess and her counselor a bit.  The counselor and I called crisis together.  I had the counselor tell them what was happening at school because she sees that all 1st hand. They suggested that I bring Princess down to their office for a crisis eval, so I drove her there.  While there the evaluator suggested that Princess might have PTSD from the mess she went through with Shnooks and other stuff from her past. Princess told the crisis lady that she gets random thoughts of killing herself.  Nothing seems to bring them on.  They just come.  Some of them are graphic, but Princess would not talk about any specific plan.  She said those thoughts scare her.  When they asked her why she cuts herself, she said "I don't know" and refused to talk about it.  They didn't see her as needing inpatient hospitalization and put Princess on their referral list to see a counselor.  They said it should only be about a two week wait. I explained to them how we've tried counseling for her in the past, about five different times.  She has trouble opening up and talking with anybody.  Then they usually give up on her and tell me it's not working, before she can build up the trust that she needs to confide in them. Princess internalizes things a lot and it's hard for anyone to get her to talk. They are going to see if a male counselor is available.  All the ones we've tried have been females, so they think maybe a male would work better.  She agreed to try it.

With the family history of BP and mental illness being so strong on both DH and my side sometimes I wonder if there is more going on with Princess then we know about.

The tricky thing with Princess is that she doesn't seem depressed.  She present like a well spirited, happy, energetic child.  She does have a tendency to get impulsive, which they notice more at school.  She's a hard one to figure out.  

There is some other stuff going on with Princess that I found out yesterday.  She disclosed something to the crisis worker that she didn't know how I'd react to when one lady took her in another room alone.  I don't feel comfortable discussing that here, but now that she let me know maybe she'll be in a better mental place. 

No comments:

Post a Comment