Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Happy Halloween

Honeybunches had a good Halloween, even though we didn't go Trick-or-Treating.  I bought him 6 yummy Vegan candy bars from Go Max Go which he was happy with.  Of course I had to buy six for Mommy too lol.  He said he likes Cleo's the best.  I gave him the two I bought for myself with two of the other candy bars he said he didn't like as much.  Cleo's are like a Vegan version of Reese's. I also bought him two other bags of candy that he can eat.  He didn't seem to mind.  In fact, I got one of the longest hugs ever.  I guess that must mean he was happy with me lol.  Trick-or-Treating often leaves him tired, grouchy and overstimulated anyways.  This way he got the same amount of candy we probably would have gotten but without all the work.  :)

Today was the Harvest Fest Family BBQ at his school.  That was fun.  Honeybunches took me on a tour to see all the scarecrows the classrooms worked hard on and have a contest for.  Then we went out to recess where we searched for four leaf clovers together.  Of course he found one.  He's so good at seeing them in patches with many others.  It was his lucky day!

Overall he's been doing pretty good at school.  Last Friday he had an issue where he refused to get off the swing and hit another student.  The teacher said that it turned into a very teachable moment though. His communication book said:

"He came in ready for confrontation, put his head down, and was going to refuse work.  I went and got the principal.  Between the two of us we got him talking and discussing what happened... He drew how he was feeling when I didn't draw the right face. I think the situation really enforced how powerful words can be.  I am so proud of him.  He did an amazing job. He even apologized to the student he hit."

Yesterday morning began great, but he was testing his new aide some more.
"... He refused to do his work.  As a result, he lost Pokemon and part of his recess, but did his spelling and was able to go out.  After lunch when he realized he was not going to earn free time, he became upset and started disrupting the class.  I am happy to say given the choices, he chose the correct thing to do and turned around his afternoon.  He got to go to the bus first.  We talked about what happened so he can have a great day..."

Today he had an awesome day all around, at school and at home.

I am happy to say that we got through Hurricane Sandy without any issues.  We never lost power and our town is mostly fine with the exception of some fallen trees, but they aren't on the major roads. :) DH's family who lives in NYC is safe too, thank goodness.

Today would have been my father's birthday.  I miss him a lot today.  It's the first birthday of his that he's celebrating with the angels. 

No comments:

Post a Comment