Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Day 1 with new aide

The 1st day with Honeybunches' new aide went well. Mrs T came to the bus stop early which was good. Honeybunches did remember her from his class last year once he seen who she was.  He did a great job helping her learn his schedule. I like how they let him do that, so he still felt in control a bit.

My stomach was in knots this morning. I have a habit of worrying too much. With his old aide I didn't worry after he was with him for a few months. Then I had almost 3 years of much less worries lol. I trusted him fully with Honeybunches' care. Maybe after a few months I'll trust her too. (If she lasts that long because Honeybunches went through 5 aides in K before finding Mr N at the beginning of 1st, but was also a different child back then.) I hope she likes a challenge~!

I expect him to get a feel for her before the testing begins. He always has a "Honeymoon period" 1st to study people before testing them. The question is not if he will test her but when, how, how intense the testing will be and how she will react to him. (The reactions he gets from people is what either fuels the fire or puts it out...) Either good reactions or bad ones both work for him. He just loves reactions from people and has always looked like he studied them from infancy. The more intense the better lol. Hopefully she'll know to remain calm and pass his test.

His teacher Mrs Understanding sent me an email saying "I just want to reassure you that everything will be fine and (Honeybunches) will continue to thrive in our classroom".  I found out today that while neither the teacher or his new aide have restraint training another aide in the classroom does.  His teacher is going to ask the SPED Director if she can receive that training. 


This afternoon at his outside counseling appointment, I gave the counselor a letter to let her know about the cat dying and Mr N being laid off. She talked to him a bit about both.  He made Mr N a card that says "Dear Mr N... I hope you come back soon. Love ----".  That was so sweet. By the way Honeybunches was talking about it, he thinks Mrs T is just with him "Until Mr N comes back".  IDK when he thinks he is coming back, but he thinks he is. IDK how to explain this one to him.  I told him he might not come back.  He doesn't understand "Might".  I don't want to tell him he is not coming back because then if he does come back I would have lied to him.  I can't tell him he is because then I'd be lying too and he'd also get his hopes up.  This is a horrible predicament with us left picking up the pieces from the school district's mess.

 I can see why he gets frustrated with his counselor sometimes.  I went in with him and had to play translator.  She could not understand him very good today.  He was talking fast and mumbling a bit, but I knew exactly what he said.  That kind of reminded me of the old days when I used to have to translate for everyone.  Mommy just knew 95% of the time, when his words were incomprehensible to others.  His speech is so much better than it used to be, but when he gets nervous he talks fast and quiet which does make it harder to understand.


No comments:

Post a Comment