Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Jumping Over Heads

One important lesson I have learned over this Summer:
If you don't get a response for over a month from the IEP Chairperson and SpEd Director regarding an email you sent them TWICE, CC the Superintendent and you are bound to hear back much quicker!!!

I had some concerns regarding Honeybunches that I needed resolved prior to the beginning of school. I sent one email on June 11th and again on July 20th. Neither were answered. I gave the school personnel the benefit of the doubt, thinking maybe they actually aren't at the school for part of the Summer. Yesterday, when dropping Honeybunches off for his ESY tutoring, the IEP Chairperson was outside and said "Hey, how's it going"? His presence was known at that point, which caused me to have mixed feelings of frustration, disappointment and "Got cha"! Today, I wrote the same Email again, CC'ing the Superintendent. I also sent her another email with more info about Honeybunches. This time, I heard back from the IEP Chairperson within two hours. I don't usually like to step over heads, because it causes certain members of the school district to get defensive. Sometimes, it must be done. Over the years, it's gotten easier for me to learn how to not play Mrs. Nice Lady and worry about everyone's feelings. Honestly though, there still is that little piece of me that cares. Then I have to step back and think "What will matter in 5 or 10 years"? Will it matter that the school personnel knew me as "That" Momma? Will it matter that I might have gotten people mad, upset or angry with me? The answer to both of those is a big fat NOPE! What will matter is that I did my best to get Honeybunches the help he needs. Sometimes, that might mean bumping or jumping over heads in the process.


No comments:

Post a Comment