Monday, June 3, 2013

My Lost Boy

SCHOOL LOST MY BOY AT RECESS TODAY!!!! His home-school communication book says:
"He seemed out of sorts today. He did a lot of testing at recess. We had to look for him. He didn't follow Mrs. T (His 1:1 aide) in. When we found him he said he was chasing a butterfly."
On one hand I am thankful they let me know. On another hand I am thinking how can they just lose my boy, especially when he has a 1:1 aide. That makes me question if he'll be safe next year without one... but then again his current one is kind of like not having one from the way it seems.


I questioned Honeybunches at dinner about the situation.  He said he was looking at "Pretty moth wings" and didn't know the other children went inside. Yup, from the way it sounds they just left my boy outside... ALONE! 

I wrote this letter to the SPED Director and CC'd the teacher:
 
"I am not happy about an incident that happened at school today. ___'s communication book had a note about ___'s day which states:
"___ seemed out of sorts today. He did a lot of testing at recess. We had to look for him. He didn't follow Mrs. T in. When we found him he said he was chasing a butterfly." I am happy that they let me know about this incident. ___ said he was looking at "Pretty moth wings" and didn't know recess was over and the children went in. Sometimes he gets hyper-focused like that (Because of his Autism I believe). I have concerns about his safety at recess, especially with the swamp behind the school. This incident makes me question if him being without an aide (Especially at recess and other unstructured times) next Fall will be safe. I also wonder with a 1:1 aide how this happened. Why don't they check the playground after recess to make sure all the children are inside? Shouldn't Mrs. T___ know where he is? I see not following him around all the time and being right on him, but IMO she should have him in an eye's view. I am going to talk to Mrs. (Understanding) about this incident in the morning, but I thought you should be aware of it too since it might possibly change my agreement to getting rid of his aide. The only other possible way I'd be happy about the outcome is if we make up a safety plan for him regarding recess that states a teacher or aide is to know where he is and have him in their line of vision and double check the playground after recess or something like that in more technical terms. I either want something like that written in a Safety Plan and reference to it in his IEP or an aide for at least recess reinstated for the Fall."


So we'll see what he has to say about this incident... I never really liked his aide and now I have even more reason to be concerned about her level of professionalism! Anyways, tomorrow I go on a field trip to the zoo with him where I'll play his 1:1 aide.  I'll try to find time to talk to his teacher about this incident... I might go a bit early to try to catch up with the principal too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment