Thursday, June 6, 2013

Emails from SPED Director and Superintendent

This morning I got two emails...
One from the Superintendent telling me that he is "Most hopeful that (Honeybunches)’ outcomes are as you would have them. I will be speaking with Dr. C (SPED Director), Ms. H (Principal), and Superintendent Elect T with regard to your message below. If I were you I would be equally as concerned. Most likely, Dr. C will be in touch with you about this." (Superintendent is retiring at the end of this year.)
The 2nd was from Dr. C. He said "I read your message and will forward it on to (School psych) and Ms H (Principal) at (School) so that we can get a safety plan written. Supervision in the ILC is and will be throughout the day.
I’ll be in touch.
Thanks for keeping me informed..."


So it's good they are working on things and that the Superintendent would be concerned too. If the Superintendent man was not leaving, I believe more would come of this situation because he doesn't seem to play around. IDK the new lady taking his place...


I wrote back to the SPED Director telling him about the Safety Plan that was written up yesterday, but asking for clarification of a couple things:

I asked "What can we do for the rest of this school year to ensure his safety?  The IEP states this plan is effective immediately.  Who is to ensure it is followed until his transition to the ILC in August?"  

I also asked him to look over the Safety Plan to see if he can see any changes that need to me made.  I also asked for clarification about what "Closely monitored" and how close "This implies to both visual and physical proximity to ensure his safety" is and what that means exactly to staff. 

I told both the principal and SPED Director that:
" It would make me feel more confident about his safety (And the rest of the other students) if recess staff/aides were trained that one of them should do a quick sweep of the playground (Especially the area of the swings, where from my understanding {Honeybunches} ended up being, around that side of the building) at the end of recess after the children enter the building to make sure all the children are inside.  If that's not already a policy, I think it would make a good one to ensure a situation like this does not happen again."

No comments:

Post a Comment