Monday, April 1, 2013

GI Doc Appointment--Upcoming Biopsy

This afternoon we went to see Honeybunches Gastroenterologist.  He didn't have much to say, but sent us to the lab for more blood work to test for some rarer things that can cause liver issues. In case it means anything to anyone reading, he tested:

LFTs
GGT
Acute Hepatitis Panel Viral (Which has been ruled out as a cause of his liver issues many times)
Ferritin
Cerulopasmin

He said that Honeybunches does have to have the liver biopsy still.  The nurse said she's waiting to hear back from the team, but she should hear from them in the next few days.  Then she'll call us with the appointment, which will be probably in 2-3 weeks but maybe as far out as 4 weeks.  Anyways, it's coming up soon. She said there was a mix up with scheduling last time, but when I called last week she called them so they should call her back within a few more days.  The nurse went over a paper about the biopsy.  She said to prepare to be in the hospital for 8-24 hours after the biopsy.  That day sounds like it will be a hard one.  No food after 8 pm the night before, no drink after midnight but she said they usually don't do the biopsy until noontime!  I asked if they could try to give him a morning appointment, because by noontime he'd be very unhappy.  She didn't quite understand.  She said that "Nobody is happy when they go for that".  Yeah, well they have not seen my little man unhappy lol.  I wonder if they've seen a child with Bipolar and Autism unhappy?  I guess they'll get a lesson! It's not clear if he'll be able to have his morning meds that day.  If not then his Lithium level will probably get all messed up.  Plus him going until noontime or later with no morning meds should be fun. (Insert sarcasm...) Once I have a date, I'll be even more nervous.  It has to be done though, as that's pretty much the only way they can see what's really going on with his liver.  Blood work and ultrasounds only tell so much.

According to the GI doc's scale, he gained more weight which is concerning as he's already very overweight. IDK why because he's been eating less lately.  He is 4'7'' and 130 lbs according to their scale, but he had thick jeans plus a big sweater on.  On Wednesday we'll get a more accurate weight at his pdoc's appointment.  Last I knew he was 116. IDK where the extra pounds all came from.  The GI doc was happy that we got Honeybunches into the Pediatric Weight Management Program.  He has an appointment there next week with an Endocrinologist. 

Honeybunches said something that concerned me a bit.  He was asking why everyone is Spanish or Chinese and said he needed a white person. The big hospital is in one of the biggest cities in our state.  It's much more diverse there, so there are several Spanish, African American and other minorities working at the hospital.  I told him that God made everyone different, because if everyone were the same the world would be boring.  He said it would not be for him.  IDK where he gets that from, because Honeybunches is 1/2 black although he looks white with a tan, DH aka "Daddy" is African American.  Princess looks like Daddy.  I have no idea where he is getting these ideas in his head from.  We live in a mostly white town, but I don't raise him to be that way at all.  In fact, I have tried to instill in him just the opposite.  I've tried from the time he was an infant, to train them to be accepting.

Besides picking his nose about 30x on the ride there and back, he did really well. The more I told him not to, the more he did it and laughed.  Gross!  He wanted the sandwich and cucumbers I packed right when we got in the vehicle, about 3 pm.  I tried getting him to wait, but he used his words and said he'd get really mad if I didn't let him eat.  I just let him, but explained that was dinner.  He accepted that and didn't ask for another one tonight.  He even did okay with the unexpected blood work. The unexpected is always rough.  In the waiting room he was telling me that they needed to get a man to do his blood work because he only likes the lady at the usual lab we go to.  I told him we'd have to wait and see who it was.  Then once inside, she tried to use an adult needle instead of the butterfly one.  He didn't like that.  He was telling us he was going to act up.  She got another lady to help her.  Then he said he'd behave.  I was hoping it didn't come to her holding him down, because that would have made getting blood work a traumatic experience for him.  With how often he gets it done because of his Lithium, we surely don't need that! It turned out okay though, thankfully. 

The man who gave us a ride today was really rude in a quiet way lol.  He didn't say anything at all.  I guess maybe he doesn't like me too much lol.  He remembered us when we got in the vehicle and asked if he'd driven us before.  I remembered him to and said he was supposed to but had car trouble.  Yup, car trouble which made Honeybunches miss an appointment in the past so I called to complain because he came an hour late but they didn't send anyone else. I even talked to a manager.  I was very mad that day. I guess he might have remembered that because he didn't talk at all. When we got in after the appointment Honeybunches asked him "So what did you get"?  The man didn't answer.  Honeybunches surely said it loud enough.  I think he wanted to show the man the chick we bought at the gift shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment