Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Vegan Stuffed Peppers

VEGAN STUFFED PEPPERS:

Today I made Stuffed Peppers for the meat-eaters in the family.  Along with that, I decided to make myself a couple Vegan Stuffed Peppers.  Theirs was made with ground beef, onions and rice mix while mine was made with a rice, bean, celery, onion, and crushed red pepper mixture.

To begin, I cooked a pot of Jasmine rice. In planning to feed all 6 of us (DH, Myself, our three children plus one friend that always eats with us) I made 4 cups of Jasmine rice mixed with 4 1/4 cups of water, 2 packages of the orange "Sazon con Culantro Y Achiote" (Coriandor and Annato), a good shake of Adobo which was probably 1 tablespoon, a dash of Cumin and a dash of Tumeric. I ended up with a lot more rice.  I found the rice at Ocean State Job Lot.  The bag said 3 cups of rice would make 4 servings.  This made a ton of rice, which is okay because we'll have leftover rice mixture for another meal creation.  When the rice was done cooking, I separated it to make theirs and mine.

To make mine I mixed in 1 can of Goya Black Beans which I drained, 1/2 large onion cut up, 1 celery stalk chopped finely, 1/4 can pureed tomatoes, 1/3 can spaghetti sauce, chilli powder, and about 2 tbsp of the jarred diced hot chilli peppers.  I mixed that all up well and stuffed the peppers.  I cooked on 350 degrees for 1 hour.  Here is how they came out:



 The lighting in the room was not good because the sun has set and there is a storm coming.  I hope the next pictures I take come out better.  That was my 1st attempt at taking pics of food lol. They were yummy.  I loved it.  Honeybunches had the Spanish rice that was what the base of the peppers was, along with some Morningstar Farms Corn Dogs.  (He's on a mostly Vegan, but Vegetarian diet.  For example, I don't give him milk, eggs, or meat products but do allow him to eat limited products such as Morningstar Farms brand food which he loves and Ranch Dip that are not technically Vegan.)


No comments:

Post a Comment