Friday, February 10, 2012

My Old Honeybunches

In Honeybunches communication book today the school wrote:
"Rough morning.  He told another student to shut up because he was angry with her.  We talked that through.  Then he pinched, dragged and tried to bite another student when they were in the bathroom." His 1:1 aide "Was there and intervened. He did lose recess and extra time.  He had a better afternoon so he earned his picture..."

I think I may complain on Monday about him losing recess.  I don't agree with that at all and believe they need to find another way to discipline him.  I don't believe children should ever lose recess for behavioral issues, especially when they are most likely related to diagnoses.

I heard from his counselor L today.  She called me just to talk for a bit. I had sent her his school evaluations.  She mentioned how "It's amazing how he presents himself with all those delays".  He said scored so low on his testing. She wondered how accurate his testing was with "His ADHD".  She said in talking to him we need to remember his processing speed is much lower than most other children.  I mentioned how he looked confused with his facial expressions much of the time. Then she mentioned how in her office at his last appointment "He was the old" Honeybunches.  I mentioned to her about how I believe it's the chicken, turkey and eggs being in his diet again.  He did not have these issues for over a long time.  The whole year on the Vegan diet he was so well behaved for the most part.  Now we are seeing old behaviors, that presented about 4-5 days after reintroducing those foods.  She said it very well could be that he has some type of intollerance or allergy.  She suggests that I contact his doctor for allergy testing.  She said another thing I could do is to take the foods away and see if his behaviors get better.  Then add them in again to see if he gets worse. She said a complete protein I could give him would be blue green algae. She said it comes in capsules.  That sounds beneficial for both of us.  She told me besides being protein, it can also help with ADHD symptoms.  Hmmm.  Interesting... BUT after researching it a bit I found it's a no go.  It's dangerous for people with liver issues and not advised to be given to children in general.  So another thing crossed off our list of possibilities...

No comments:

Post a Comment