Saturday, October 5, 2013

Revised Acceptable IEP

To know what is going on with this post please read about his IEP Annual Review Meeting and his IEP I received last week after that meeting which resulted in a Dispute Resolution Reconvene Meeting. Anyways, today I got his new IEP.  This one is much more acceptable. It's even better than the previous one! 

They gave him back his "Longer School Year" stating Honeybunches "Is to receive tutoring for four days a week, two hours a day for four weeks. It is essential that ---'s tutor is someone he is familiar and comfortable with." That is even better than before, because it stipulates who is to do the tutoring. They also added in his Assigned Seat under transportation and gave him a "Transportation Support Plan" that says "If members of the team identify an increase in the number of refusals to board the general education bus or an increase in the number of behavioral incidents that occur related to transportation service and/or if there is an observed change in ---'s attitude toward riding the general education bus, the following steps will be taken to provide additional levels of transportation support:
A monitor will be added to the general education bus to support (Honeybunches).
If further support is required, special education transportation will be provided, and the team will evaluate the need for a monitor using available data."
That's so much better and more clear than it even was before. They also put home use for the Ipad back into the IEP, moved the Ipad to PLEP A and PLEP B as an "Assistive Technology Device" which the OT agreed it was and put it under "Student Strengths" like I requested. 

Turns out going to Due Process was not necessary, at least this time! I feel like the school must hate me now, but I try to look at things as what will matter in five to ten years. Will it matter I made them hate me? Will I remember that part of things? I doubt it. What will matter is that I did everything I could to get Honeybunches the help he needed in school. Honestly, it does bother my heart a bit though. I've been that way my whole life... wanting everyone to be happy. Anyways, I got all I wanted for Honeybunches in the IEP... and then some! I guess that means I did a good job advocating for him, even if the school thinks I am a #&*!$ (Fill in the symbols with whatever word you want lol...)

No comments:

Post a Comment