Monday, July 29, 2013

Struggles at tutoring

Well tutoring didn't go so well today. :( When I got there to pick him up I was greeted by a female teacher who said she was just going to call me because Honeybunches was having a hard day.  She walked me to the ILC classroom where Mr. M was doing tutoring with him and another boy who I found out is going to be his classmate when school begins again.  Honeybunches was shaking, crying hysterically just standing in the corner of the room with his hands covering his face.  Mr. M was quiet to begin with trying to give Honeybunches a chance to tell me what happened, but he would not only saying "Ask him".  So Mr. M told me that Honeybunches was listening to a song on the Ipad and L (The little boy doing tutoring with him) didn't want to hear it so Mr. M said to finish that song and then not to play it anymore.  That made Honeybunches mad. He threw a whole container of paper clips all over the room, tried to knock a bookshelf full of heavy books over on himself and tried to bite Mr. M.  Mr. M said he had to restrain him.  (Honeybunches has a Safety Plan regarding doing this, it's referenced in his IEP and Mr. M is restraint trained.) Once I got there it took him a few minutes and some bribery to calm down.  I told him no marvelous bag for this hour, but if he helped me pick up he could still go on the computer and if he did a good job until after counseling we'd go to the train tracks afterwards.  I gave him space for a couple minutes. He said he'd pick up "When he leaves" talking about Mr. M. I tried telling Honeybunches that he'll have to get used to Mr. M because he's the Integrated Learning Center aka ILC teacher's helper. You can read more about the ILC and our decision to place him in that program here.

 So Mr. M went to check on the other little boy who was in the adjoining classroom while Honeybunches helped me pick up.  He handed me the books and I put them on the shelves.  Then he picked up the papers and we both picked up the paperclips.  On the way out Mr. M. said he thought it would be a good idea to have them do tutoring together since L will be his classmate in the Fall.  He said he's not sure if they just don't get along or what happened.  I told him how the little girl next door H is moving today and how he's going to miss Mrs. Understanding after being with her for so long.  I told him Honeybunches has a lot going on right now.  Since he does tutoring with L from 10:30-12 I told him I'll pick up Honeybunches closer to 10:30 tomorrow and Wednesday. 

We get home and Honeybunches tells Daddy "Had a hard time".  The 1st thing Daddy says is "No railroad tracks".  Honeybunches counselor had called this morning to tell me he talked to the pdoc who mentioned we had an appointment with her today, so he wanted to know if we'd rather see him today instead of Thursday to save a trip.  I said "Sure" since it does save gas.  They both work at the same counseling center which is about 25 miles away.  While Honeybunches is at the counseling center, DH has an appointment with his own doctor up the street. So that's going to leave Honeybunches and I at counseling alone, which sometimes doesn't turn out so well.  I explained to Daddy how I told Honeybunches if he did a good job at counseling he could still go, just no marbles for this hour.  If Honeybunches got it in his brain that he could not go to the railroad tracks, then I am 90% sure after how his morning went that counseling would have been a nightmare. 

Honeybunches only has two days left of tutoring.  Then there will be 27 days until school begins once that's done. 

No comments:

Post a Comment